Are you guilty of giving into common distractions on the road? Sometimes it can be hard to focus on driving when you have so much on your mind. However, sending out a quick text, dialing your home phone number, or controlling your screaming kids in the back may be a deadly decision. Rather than put yourself and others at risk, try to become a safer driver by avoiding common distractions.
As a parent, you need to be careful to avoid distraction during certain situations so you can ensure a safe journey for yourself and other motorists. This is why following safety rules is critical to prevent accidents. Here are some tips that drivers can follow to avoid getting distracted while driving:
• Never use your mobile phone while driving. If you have an emergency, park your car to the side of the road before picking up or texting.
• Even if you are in a rush, your make up can wait. Applying make-up or combing your hair while driving is very dangerous. Either make time to do it at home or pull over before applying it.
• If you are unsure of your route during a trip, you may glance down at a map. Do not read or write while driving, your eyes off the road could be fatal. Instead, learn your route before hand or if you are completely lost, stop in a parking lot to figure out your next move.
• Do not eat or drink while driving because this takes concentration out of your main task, operating a motor vehicle.
• Listening to music can help you relax and enjoy a drive, but make sure you do not have it blasting on high volume. This can be dangerous and distracting to you as well as other drivers.
• Always have everyone in the car wear a seat belt. If a distraction does occur unexpectedly, this device can help save your life.
• If you smoke, make sure to not do so while driving. This is a distraction because if you are lighting a cigarette, you may drop it or burn your finger, causing your to lose control of the vehicle. There is also a chance of a fire hazard while smoking in your car.
At Anchor Insurance, we hope that these tips to avoid distractions while driving will help you enjoy a safe journey. The best preventive methods someone can choose to reduce distraction risks are by taking care of matters at home before getting on the road. By being prepared, you can help keep your family safe during any trip this summer.